The Flying Kayak

Hunting, Fishing, Rambling, and Complete Outdoor Hilarity

My First King Mackerel From The Kayak

Well…I did it. I’d been trying since early May and I was finally successful this morning at landing a King Mackerel from the kayak.

Got out to the beach at 0530 this morning and launched. It was a little choppy right off the bat, but wasn’t too bad. The wind began to pick up once the sun got a little higher and blew right out of the north which pushed the yak further and further offshore. After wrestling with my sabiki rig for close to a decade, I managed to catch one live cigar minnow. The rig was promptly lost on a Spanish with the next cast.

Unfortunately my live Cig was eaten by a remora after only a few minutes. With it gone, I switched to frozen cigs and slow trolled for about an hour. I proceeded to catch nothing on the dead cig so I switched to a red and white diving lure. Over the course of my fishing career, I’d only caught one King with a lure, and that was my very first one that I mentioned in a previous post.

I dragged the lure straight back to shore about 1/2 mile until I reached the second sand bar. I paddled just about as hard as I could so that the lure could dive properly. Just a few seconds before I gave up trolling, I heard the sound I’d been waiting all summer to hear; The drag screaming off my King rod. I quickly hit ‘play’ on the camera, and recorded my (very short) fight.

And that was it. The rod I was using was a bit overkill so there wasn’t much of a fight. After all, it was the same rod that I pulled a 100lbs Tarpon in with in under 20 minutes. It also didn’t help that the fish came straight to the boat. Next time I may switch it up to my usual light tackle. I also noticed that I’m in need of a bigger gaff. I just about got bit on the hand and in the knee while pulling that fish in the boat.

Since I had nothing to put the King in, I paddled back to shore to load him in the cooler in the truck. Unfortunately, the swells had picked up and there were 3-4ft breaking waves right on the beach so re-launching was out of the question. We called it a day and loaded the yaks back up around 0830. The fish weighed in right at 15lbs and fried up fantastically for dinner this evening.

 Landing a King in the yak with me was a pretty big goal of mine and it felt great to finally do it. Now I get to sit back and scheme for my next challenge. I’m thinking Cobia from the yak?


  1. Damn dude! Another goal off the checklist! Good work.

  2. Thanks! I’m itching to go out and try it again.

  3. Holy Mackerel!! Nice fish and I like your background on the blogsite! : )

  4. Hey thanks! Took me a while to finally get the background to work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


© 2017 The Flying Kayak

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Skip to toolbar